RSS Feed


  1. Taking to the stage.

    Posted on

    *NB: Originally posted on the old website on 2nd June 2016*

    Towards the end of last year, I helped out painting scenery for the Christmas play at my daughters' school which resulted in quite a lot of hours and me vowing not to take on any large scale work for a long time!

    Fast forward just a few months and I yet again found myself tackling a huge mural (which you can read about here), again for the school my 2 daughters attend and once again I vowed not to tackle anything too large for the foreseeable future.

    So, obviously I have spent the last few weeks working on my biggest project to date!

    I was commissioned by a local theatre group to paint the scenery for their upcoming production of 'A Budget Cinderella' - on boards that are approximately 10 feet tall, and with a combined length of 80 feet!

    I had to paint it in situ on stage in the local church hall - and all while the usual programme of events carried on. So, I spent a large part of the time working behind closed curtains to the sound of coffee mornings, craft clubs and bring and buy sales!

    It has been a back-breaking project to tackle - but I have thoroughly enjoyed it and have loved being welcomed by the lovely church hall community who got used to the strange lady behind the curtain and who would come and check on my progress and bring me welcome cups of tea.

    It is a double sided set - with one side showing Cinderella's worn out house, the other side a contrasting warm and luxurious palace ballroom. Because of this, I warn you, there are quite a few pictures to follow! These are just pics grabbed on my phone as I work, and although they are not the greatest quality, I hope they give you a little insight into this project and how the scenery came to life.

    You can also catch a glimpse of the old scenery that was there before that I had to paint over - a hint as to what will happen to mine once the show is over..!

    And obviously, it will be a very long time before I tackle a project of this size again. Obviously...

  2. And now for something completely different...

    Posted on

    *NB: Originally posted on our old website on 22nd March 2016*

    Those you you that follow me over on Facebook or Twitter may have noticed I have been a bit quiet lately, with talk of me being kept extremely busy by a big project.

    Well today, the project was installed in situ - the biggest project I have ever undertaken and something so completely different in subject and style to my usual work that it was indeed a massive challenge in every sense of the word. Because not only does is measure nearly 20 feet in length - it features drawings from nearly 200 hundred school children.

    It has been completed to adorn one of the main corridors in the lovely Primary School that my 2 daughters' attend (in fact, they both had a little paint on it as the pictures may show some evidence of ;)). The scale of the piece meant it was too big to complete in my little home studio - so I simply took over the kitchen for a month!


    My original vision for the piece was to celebrate the potential within each child and their dreams and aspirations. It all began with a workshop in the school during which all attending children drew out their vision of what they want to do when they're older. These drawings were then to become the centres of a mass of colourful blooming flowers - signifying growth, life and the blossoming of ambition.


    It would be accurate to say that I completely underestimated the scale of the project! But, I felt incredibly proud seeing it go up today and hope all the children and staff at the school get a lot of pleasure from the piece. And I hope it's a little while before I have to do anything of this scale again... ;)



    And now it is finally done and successfully in place, all that remains for me to do is sit back and enjoy a sneaky glass of red...

    Helen x